I can’t recall much of August, except for a couple of things that seemed to take up most of my mental capacity for the month.
Last Month’s Goals
- Write 4,800 words.
- Take the next writing step.
- Read 3 books.
- Exercise 3 times per week.
So where are we at?
Write 4,800 words?
No. I think a fair bit of it had to do with stress from work distracting me. I had a big presentation and a work trip within a week of each other towards the end of the month, and I think these were just hanging over me. I could feel it during the work day, and it bled into non-work things.
I’ve felt much better overall now that I’m over those hurdles.
And yet I have been unable to craft a decent ending to New Earth, The Herb Witch Tales #2. I generally know how I want this story to land, but I’ve become stuck on the mechanics. I’m thinking I need to step back from this story for a bit until I can work out the ending.
Take the next writing step?
No, but I think that’s what I need to focus on for this month. As I said above, I’m going to step back from New Earth and focus on something different for a change. Switching projects can often be refreshing.
Alternative projects include:
- Transcribing notes from a small bear up journal into a newer nice one
- Revisiting my partial draft of The Warden of Everfeld: Legacy to outline that novel.
I honestly haven’t yet decided what I’m going to work on, and I’m okay with that. It could be a little bit of everything.
Read three books?
No. I’m 100ish pages into A Memory of Light, the final book in The Wheel of Time, and I find myself not rushing through it. I’m definitely enjoying reading it. I guess I just don’t want to gloss over sections just to get to the end.
Exercise three times per week?
I’m getting there, but not quite there. I like my mini routine and may be looking for something additive this month.
Goals for September
- Progress my writing. Honestly, I just want to pick away at one of the projects I mentioned above. No quantitative goals. Just forward movement to keep my brain working.
- Read 3 books. We’ll see. I definitely want to read more things. I’m just not holding myself to finishing A Memory of Light, so I’ll need to find something else.
- Exercise 3 times per week. Same same. Like my other two goals, this is more about consistency than anything else.